Thursday, June 6, 2024

SP Jawbone Branch (Part 50) - Fans, Surform Tool, & House Keeping

This is a quick update post as far as my Jawbone Branch building blog go.  I find it amazing that this is already the 50th post in the SP Jawbone Branch Layout series of blog posts.  The layout's been under construction now for about 3.5 years, starting in early 2021.

House keeping time on the Jawbone Branch this week with the new twin "window" fan

In the last couple posts I've been mostly working on construction of the new corner in SP Jawbone Branch (Part 49) - Spline Start for Owenyo 3rd Module Construction.  I want to just do this as a combined summery of what I've been doing around the shop on the branch this week.

Leveling the Trestle Spur


In the last post, I notched the front frame of the Owenyo #3 Module for the main track spline and the bottom of the Trestle Spur's roadbed.  I put a series of blocks to shim the roadbed over the staging yard to bring the roadbed level.

I decided to do a quick double check the level of the Trestle Spur on the Owenyo #3 Module.

All's good here, the trestle spur's roadbed is nice and level.  Then I extended a mark from the roadbed over to the back frame, so when I connect the supports for this section of roadbed it should remain level.  I'll probably put in some MDF ribs under the roadbed like I did before on the other Owenyo modules.

As I finalize the spur's alignment, I'll be cutting off the extra curve at the right end of the module, and I plan once the spline is finalized and the rest of the framework is done, I'll then start putting in the bracing to support the spur.

Let There Be Fans!


A year or two back, when I was working regularly out in the shop during the summers, I put this fan up in the window next to the end of the Owenyo scene.  I don't think they had semi-subterranean wind turbines buried in the desert at Owenyo!... 

For several years I've used this large box fan to cool off the shop.

Sadly the original fan didn't fit very well with the modules, let alone the future curved section of main line which will need to cross in front of it coming out of the Mojave Staging yard under Owenyo.  The problem with using this large box fan in the window is that it's too large, plus the Owenyo #1 Module wasn't designed to accept the fan.  I was looking at cutting a notch in the corner of the module, but that would also compromise some of the structural integrity of the module... but I'd really prefer a better fan for the location...

Time for a New Fan!


So this last week I went on the hunt for a twin window fan.  I ended up finding one at one of the local box-stores which was only about $30!  

Twin "Window" Fan, which fits nicely in the 23" x 12" open window.

I put it in the other night and it fit nicely once I notched the corner bracket supporting the end of Owenyo #1 Module with the saber-saw.  This one is interesting in that it has two regular fan settings, plus a "night" setting, which is a lower power setting, which keeps the sound down, but still keeps the fans moving some air.

A minor note on this fan, and maybe the series production of them, they put the labeling for the Fresh Air and Exhaust Air sides of the fan on backwards.  After checking the air flow, I went ahead and changed the labels with my Sharpie pen.  The nice thing is that the fan's exterior is symmetrical, so if I want the air flow to draw and push the other direction, I can simply flip which side is towards the window.

In-Backdrop Ducting?


For only $30, I might snag another one and mount it in the other window under Owenyo #3 Module... however that will require a little rework of the corner bracket which is a little too close to the corner and overhangs the window.

Curved Backdrop which will cover the upper parts of the window.

I'm considering putting a fan duct into the corner, behind the backdrop corner radius of the Owenyo #3 Module.  This duct would have to do a bit of an S-curve to get around the staging yard and then a manifold to align with the far fan of the future twin fan, which I plan to put in the window.

If I set up the in and out sides of the fan properly (which this fan had labeled backwards!), I think this would be a great way to have the fan pull the hot air from the top of the room, down and out the window, which does get annoying during the hot Nevada summers.

Surform Tool


Surform tools are a great little took which is a cross between a cheese-grader, a rasp, and bent into a slight curve.

I grabbed a new tool so I can work on the foam scenery.  It took some hunting to multiple stores, who's staff didn't know what I was talking about.  Thankfully the local ACE Hardware had a helpful young guy who knew their stock, and once he realized what this was called, he knew exactly where it was!

A properly debris-covered Surform tool...

I ended up turning the blade section around so it is a "pull" tool now.  It required a little bit of minor persuasion with a pair of pliers on the wrap around tabs to remove the blade.

Plan for the foam to make a mess with the Surform tool.

I put a plastic storage bin lid on the lower Mojave Staging roadbed to catch most of the flying and floating foam bits that the Surform tool launched while I was adjusting the shape of the foam scenery.

How Owenyo #2 once the foam was carved down to the MDF frame edge shape boards.

It worked pretty well to have the MDF pre-cut to the cross section land-form that I wanted the foam be taken down to.  I will have to come back later and either sand down the corner of the MDF edge or build up the scenery form with Sculpt-a-mold when I get into doing the top scenery, which I'm not ready to do yet.  I plan to do that after I get all the track work in, wired and tested.

In Closing


And the part that sucks about all projects... Vacuuming up afterwords!

Curved Backdrop which will cover the upper parts of the window.

As I said at the top, house keeping time... I had to break out the shop vacuum and clean up all the loose MDF dust from cutting Owenyo #3 Module and now all the scenery foam that was kicked up by breaking in the Surform tool.

Next time, I'll be getting back to working on Owenyo #3 Module's roadbed skin and spline framework.

Jason Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment